As a dental professional you must plan your CPD activity as it relates to your field of practice during your CPD cycle.
To help and support you in your CPD choices, the GDC has identified some CPD topics that will relate to many dental professionals in their field of practice. These are highly recommended to do as part of the minimum verifiable CPD requirement:
- Medical Emergencies: at least 10 hours in every CPD cycle – and we recommend that you do at least two hours of CPD in this every year;
- Disinfection and Decontamination: we recommend that you do at least five hours in every CPD cycle; and
- Radiography and radiation protection: we recommend that you do at least five hours in every CPD cycle. This applies only to those who undertake radiography. If you are a dental technician you can do CPD in materials and equipment instead of radiography and radiation protection: at least five hours in every CPD cycle.
We also recommend that you keep up to date by doing CPD in the following areas:
- Legal and ethical issues;
- Oral Cancer: Early detection;
- Safeguarding children and young people; and
- Safeguarding vulnerable adults.
We make these recommendations because we believe regularly keeping up to date in these topics contributes to patient safety.